Susan M. Lee is Of Counsel with the firm. Prior to joining BFC, Susan had her own private general practice with a heavy emphasis on both commercial and residential real estate, zoning law, and commercial transactions. Throughout her career, apart from a very active real estate practice, Susan has represented clients for SBA financing, liquor license transfers and municipal zoning applications. Susan also provides a myriad of legal services and analysis to community associations, including the negotiation of complex construction and service contracts and capital improvement financing. Utilizing her experience as a Superior Court of New Jersey Rule 1:40 Qualified Mediator, Susan helps guide associations in resolving disputes with and among unit owners.
Susan is a graduate of Dwight Englewood School. She received her Bachelor of Science degree in Journalism from Boston University’s College of Communications. Upon graduating from Columbia Law School, Susan practiced litigation at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom and Kasowitz Hoff Benson & Torres (now known as Kasowitz Benson Torres LLP) before returning to her childhood town of Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, where she set up her own law practice.
Susan was lead counsel in the precedential case, Delvoye v. Lee, 224 F. Supp. 2d 843 (D.N.J. 2002), aff’d, 329 F.3d 330 (3rd Cir. N.J. 2003), cert. denied, 540 U.S. 967 (2003), in which she successfully defended against a father’s Petition for the Return of a Child to Belgium under the Hague Convention. This was a case of first impression involving how the treaty should be applied to a neonate. After a plenary trial, the U.S. District Court issued a landmark decision in favor of Susan’s client. The U.S. Court of Appeals of the Third Circuit issued a written opinion affirming the decision.
Susan is a member of the bars of the State of New Jersey and New York and the United States Supreme Court. On her free time, Susan cares for her bonsai trees. She has also published an illustrated fable entitled Moysterings.
- COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW (J.D – January 1990)
- Columbia Human Rights Law Review – Author of “Prison Marriages” for A Jailhouse Lawyer’s Manual Supplement, published in the Columbia HRLR Spring 1989 edition.
- BOSTON UNIVERSITY, COLLEGE OF COMMUNICATIONS (B.S. in Journalism – January 1985)
- New Jersey, 1991
- New York, 1992
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
Areas of Practice
- Community Associations
- Community Association Litigation
- Condominium Associations
- Homeowners’ Associations
- Cooperative Corporations
- Contract Drafting & Negotiation
- Land Use & Zoning
- Corporate Counseling & Governance
- Mediation & Arbitration
- Real Estate
- Residential Purchases & Sales
- Commercial Real Estate
- Corporate & Business Law
- Business Purchases & Sales
- Commercial Transactions
- Individuals & Families
- Real Estate Purchases & Property Leasing