Running a non-profit organization can feel like a 24/7 job. Between keeping the staff positive and focused on the mission, to dealing with operational issues, financial requirements and other opportunities and obstacles, the last thing you need is to be hit with a legal issue you never saw coming. Having strong legal counsel to guide you, so you can avoid unnecessary legal risks and liabilities for your non-profit, is crucial. BFC can be your outside “in-house counsel” to give you advice that is sharp, innovative and practical so that you are left to focus on the operational issues to achieve your non-profit’s goals.
At BFC, we take great pride in our role as general counsel for non-profit entities. We take the time and energy to learn what your non-profit is passionate about so that we can guide you in a way that lets your non-profit achieve its goals while limiting its legal exposure. We take the long view – because we want to be a valuable advisor to you not only now, but for the years to come, as your non-profit grows and expands in meeting its mission.
- Counsel your executive team on a variety of legal issues facing your organization
- Assist your board and executives in understanding the non-profit’s operating agreement and by-laws to ensure compliance with those governing documents
- Guide the non-profit in short-term and long-term planning
- Advise you as your non-profit embarks on a construction project – small-scale efforts, or major projects to construct facilities
- Draft and negotiate contracts with vendors and service providers of all kind
- Educate board members on the scope of their fiduciary duties, and proper corporate governance processes
- Develop employment agreements with key staff, and counsel on the roles of executives and staff
- Advocate for the non-profit in insurance disputes with its insurance carrier